The retail industry, specifically
apparel, has always been interesting to me.
I am not a “fashionista” by any means, but when I think about my
favorite brands, retail brands inevitably come to mind. When I was younger, exploring different stores
and trying to figure out the shops I liked was purely defined by what my
friends liked or what was considered “cool”. Now, as I have gotten older and
moved out of suburban Ohio, shopping has become much different and my
preferences depend on the experience, accessibility, and quality. I have been fortunate enough to live in
Manhattan and San Francisco, where shopping is still considered a fun activity
there given the metropolitan atmosphere and accessibility to more boutiques and
stores that are not everywhere. However, all of the additional ecommerce sites have
really changed the game. Accessibility and quality can be met easily. I personally
still enjoy the in-store experience, but am constantly inundated with new and
interesting apparel businesses that offer some unique value proposition that
takes the store experience out of the picture.
In
business school, we have certainly flushed out the idea of how ecommerce is
starting to creep up on brick & mortar; therefore I am not trying to
analyze Amazon or Walmart. I am more
interested in exploring “The Future of the Retail Shopping Experience” in the
context of apparel. This topic will encompass retail startups and their potential
threats to brick & mortar. Additionally, I want to research potential
opportunities that brick & mortar stores have to stay relevant, and what
current companies are doing to drive traffic to stores and enhance the store
experience. While I understand we are not supposed to focus on an entire
industry, I want to strictly focus on the value proposition of a few online
retailers that are fairly new to the industry, but have created a lot of buzz
for themselves. These examples will then help to further explore the way the
shopping experience is changing and what that means for the future. An example
would be a company like StichFix. This online retailer allows you to create
your own style profile, sends you a box of five hand-picked items, and lets you
keep what you like and send back the rest. They act as a virtual personal
stylist.
Some
of the questions I have on this topic are:
1) How
will companies like Stich Fix grow when there are constantly new online
retailers entering the scene?
2) Are
the value propositions of companies like this sustainable based on consumer
behavior?
3) How
are brick & mortar stores going to enhance their shopping experience? What
have some established retailers (i.e. Gap, Victoria’s Secret) done recently?
4) What
are some predictions regarding the shift in retail in the next 10 years?
I am particularly interested in this
topic for a couple reasons. In business school,
our marketing conversations, many times have sprung from the Consumer Packaged
Goods industry. While we absolutely talk about Walmart and Amazon, we have
rarely taken a deep dive into retail apparel companies. Since I am strongly considering working in a
retail organization if not post the MBA, then sometime in the near future, I want
to understand the future of the shopping experience and different retailers’
value propositions so that I can better craft marketing strategies.
This topic is related to gathering and
identifying consumer insights because new companies like Stich Fix came to
fruition because a problem or need was identified. The need Stich Fix identified
was for a personalized styling service with the latest and greatest trends, from
the convenience of your home. Insights had to be gathered to understand that
shoppers wanted some advice on style, but did not want to hire a personal
stylist because this service can often be expensive and time-consuming. The
sites and services associated with these online retailers have to be designed
in a way that ensures the consumer experience is positive so that he or she
will return to purchase again, recommend it to friends, and eventually become
an advocate for the brand. There will always be a segment of consumers that
will want the in-store experience; therefore design thinking is really
important for retail because this shopper will inevitably demand a better
experience. In order to create that experience, stores may have to think
differently and really understand how the consumer is changing.
I have attached a couple of articles
here that I thought were interesting and relevant to the topic. The Fast
Company article points to the declining shopper satisfaction in-store (at 15%
per year) and how retailers are searching for how to adapt their strategies
with changing consumer expectations. It also explores how retailers need to
design new shopping experiences that are more integrated, and not just relying
on immediate sales but also cross-selling, impulse buys, and upselling. The NPR
story gives some examples of what is happening or starting to be tested
in-store to enhance the shopper experience. For example, a consumer can
actually tailor the dressing room to their liking by plugging in his or her
iPhone, and creating an oasis of sorts when trying on clothes rather than being
rushed. The speakers then predict that stores will start to make all walls
digital and continuously stream content through them. Both Fast Company and NPR
talk about the idea of personalized shopping in detail, which I look forward to
exploring more. The idea NPR walks through is how a consumer would be able to
walk into a store and receive customized products and offers based on past
purchasing behavior and other data. While it happens in an online setting through
programs and algorithms, how does it work in-store? I definitely find it hard
to imagine, but it sounds like a way retailers will stay relevant in the
consumers’ minds. It is an exciting and scary time to be in retail, and I
cannot wait to research and learn more about this topic.
Articles
Four
Keys to Surviving the Future of Retail
NPR:
Future of Retail May Involve Personalized Shopping
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/13/167198009/future-of-retail-may-involve-personalized-shopping
Hi Shivani - I think this topic is great for this paper and I think you've scoped and framed it well here. I like that you are trying to be focused about the etailers you are considering, as well as the brick and mortar comparisons. Are you thinking about just looking at the brick & mortar experiences or there online experiences, as well (e.g., just what Gap is doing in-store or what they are also doing online to enhance or bridge the two experiences). Analyzing both may broaden your scope too much, but may also be important in this conversation. I love apparel retail too, so I'll be so excited to see where you take this. Definitely use your outline (the next assignment) to further set the details on the scope. Oh, and those articles/stories are a great start.
ReplyDelete